The following discussion installs the tetex Latex distribution with Texmaker Latex editor and the beamer class.
1. Launch Console. (Shorcut Ctrl+Alt+T in Easy Mode)
2. Enter “sudo bash”. This gives us Admin privileges.
3. Enter “nano /etc/apt/sources.list” and
4. Add the following Xandros repositories after the default two lines of the list of sources:
deb http://download.tuxfamily.org/eeepcrepos p701 main etch deb http://xnv4.xandros.com/xs2.0/upkg-srv2 etch main contrib non-free deb http://dccamirror.xandros.com/dccri/ dccri-3.0 main deb http://www.geekconnection.org/ xandros4 main
* Note: The spaces are really included.
5. Save by Ctrl+O. Exit/Return to main command line by Ctrl+X.
6. Enter “apt-get update”. This updates the list of packages from the repositories.
* Note: This requires Internet connection. And so will all other apt-get processes.
* Note2: In the event that the update process will not be completed, probably due to poor connection, we may update the repositories one-by-one. We do this by slightly modifying the sources.list file every time, leaving only one line by commenting out the rest with '#', and then applying “apt-get update” for that. An example:
#deb http://update.eeepc.asus.com/p701 p701 main #deb http://update.eeepc.asus.com/en p701 main deb http://download.tuxfamily.org/eeepcrepos p701 main etch #deb http://xnv4.xandros.com/xs2.0/upkg-srv2 etch main contrib non-free #deb http://dccamirror.xandros.com/dccri/ dccri-3.0 main #deb http://www.geekconnection.org/ xandros4 main
* Note3: We may get the error “NO_PUBKEY”. To get the key for download.tuxfamily.org, enter
then enter “apt-key add key.asc”. This is actually optional. Also, for xnv4.xandros.com, this does not work.
7. Enter “apt-get install tetex-base”. Key in 'y' when prompted.
8. Enter “apt-get install tetex-bin”. Same.
9. If we need to use the beamer class/package, enter “apt-get install latex-beamer”. Otherwise, we're done.
10. Another optional package is Texmaker, a free Latex editor. Similarly, we install this by entering “apt-get install texmaker”. Texmaker can be launched from Console by simply entering “texmaker”.